I typed this out nearly a month ago...am just now getting around to posting!! Ha ha. Keeping up on the blog is one of my goals that never gets accomplished.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So it’s been waaaay too long since my last post – which is indicative of our busy life with these two boys! At times I feel like I’ve got twins on my hands, except for the difference in language skills and potty training, the fact that Ben is over 40 pounds and Sam is just over 20 pounds...okay, so I don’t have twins. However, together they create much adventure and activity! Since Sam turned 17 months old, he’s a whirlwind of chaos – my own little Tasmanian devil! It seems he cannot walk around the house without leaving a trail of slobber, or crumbs, or even just wailing, behind him. I had thought Ben was my difficult baby, but Sam...well, let’s just say that if we’d had him FIRST, we would have thought twice about having another child. Or at least waited a few more years before doing so. Don’t get me wrong, he is a blessing – he loves to cuddle, he’s very affectionate, and when he smiles, his entire face lights up and his eyes literally twinkle. He is also very curious, exercises little caution when climbing – basically, he lives in the moment without much thought for the next moment.
Ben, who is usually more cautious, tends to get caught up in the fun with his little brother. He’ll climb furniture that he typically wouldn’t climb (like the dining room table or the couch) – with Sam. He’ll do things that he knows better NOT to do – with Sam. One afternoon I was doing the dishes and when I turned off the faucet in the kitchen sink, I still heard water running. There was much laughter. I found them both in the bathroom, door closed, joyfully splashing not only in the sink (which Ben had climbed up on and turned on) but in the toilet as well!! They were so excited!! I almost felt bad breaking up the fun, but the grossness of the toilet (which thankfully was flushed) and visions of pink-eye drove me to act quickly.
They also do nice, thoughtful things together...they love to give treats to our kitty. Our poor cat is 14 years old, very nearly blind, and loves to just nap all day in the dark. She lives in the workshop off the garage, which is also our laundry room. So when I go to do the laundry, the boys are on my heels, excited to see the kitty. She is always in her usual spot, in her bed under a shelf (which I cleared out for her so she could have her privacy). And Ben always moves the boxes aside and squats down, treats in hand, and rather forcefully administers the treats. “Here, kitty. Eat these treats kitty.” And he holds his hand out until she takes them. It’s actually pretty sweet. Then Sam wants his turn, though normally he accidentally drops them into her bed (he doesn’t understand gravity yet), which means he wants to get another treat, and he’ll do this over and over until she eats it from his hand. Doing laundry = helping boys feed kitty. Actually most daily activities involve another activity, which may or may not be related to the original activity. Let me list these out:
Laundry = Feed kitty treats
Folding laundry = Jumping on the beds
Watering flowers = Playing with water hose
Doing dishes = Playing with spoons
Trying to email = Playing puzzle games on computer/Juggling boys on lap and desk
I’m sure there are more, but I’m currently out of ideas. When I look back on our lives before the boys came along, I wonder what in the world did we do? (We slept in, that’s what we did.) House chores were never so exciting! One thing about these boys – they are excited about nearly everything – except sleeping. Getting into the car is an adventure – they want to play and push buttons, and turn on lights. Bathing is fun – they splash and pour water on each other, put bubbles on their faces. I wish I had their energy – I certainly wish I always had their perspective!! Bryan often says, “We have such dude-ish little dudes.” And they are – they are very dude-ish little dudes.
Ben, who is usually more cautious, tends to get caught up in the fun with his little brother. He’ll climb furniture that he typically wouldn’t climb (like the dining room table or the couch) – with Sam. He’ll do things that he knows better NOT to do – with Sam. One afternoon I was doing the dishes and when I turned off the faucet in the kitchen sink, I still heard water running. There was much laughter. I found them both in the bathroom, door closed, joyfully splashing not only in the sink (which Ben had climbed up on and turned on) but in the toilet as well!! They were so excited!! I almost felt bad breaking up the fun, but the grossness of the toilet (which thankfully was flushed) and visions of pink-eye drove me to act quickly.
They also do nice, thoughtful things together...they love to give treats to our kitty. Our poor cat is 14 years old, very nearly blind, and loves to just nap all day in the dark. She lives in the workshop off the garage, which is also our laundry room. So when I go to do the laundry, the boys are on my heels, excited to see the kitty. She is always in her usual spot, in her bed under a shelf (which I cleared out for her so she could have her privacy). And Ben always moves the boxes aside and squats down, treats in hand, and rather forcefully administers the treats. “Here, kitty. Eat these treats kitty.” And he holds his hand out until she takes them. It’s actually pretty sweet. Then Sam wants his turn, though normally he accidentally drops them into her bed (he doesn’t understand gravity yet), which means he wants to get another treat, and he’ll do this over and over until she eats it from his hand. Doing laundry = helping boys feed kitty. Actually most daily activities involve another activity, which may or may not be related to the original activity. Let me list these out:
Laundry = Feed kitty treats
Folding laundry = Jumping on the beds
Watering flowers = Playing with water hose
Doing dishes = Playing with spoons
Trying to email = Playing puzzle games on computer/Juggling boys on lap and desk
I’m sure there are more, but I’m currently out of ideas. When I look back on our lives before the boys came along, I wonder what in the world did we do? (We slept in, that’s what we did.) House chores were never so exciting! One thing about these boys – they are excited about nearly everything – except sleeping. Getting into the car is an adventure – they want to play and push buttons, and turn on lights. Bathing is fun – they splash and pour water on each other, put bubbles on their faces. I wish I had their energy – I certainly wish I always had their perspective!! Bryan often says, “We have such dude-ish little dudes.” And they are – they are very dude-ish little dudes.
Here's Ben with "green eggs" (no ham). He was so excited - that is his new favorite book.
Here is Sam, caught with a mischievous look - this is a frequent look of his! Love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment