Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Do You Speak "Sam-inese"?

Sam does.

Ben is pretty fluent.

Hubby and I...barely.  We are participating in a daily immersion program, but it isn't helping much.

Anyone who has parented or spent any amount of time with a babbling two-year-old will understand the hilarity and frustrations that come with attempting communication with these little language-learners.

So far, this is what we've figured out:

"Pap-PEACE!" = Pacifier
"Bee-Bee" = Blanket
"Mil" = Milk
"Pop - Part" = Pop-Tart

The problem is, once we nail down what one word means, it will change without warning.  Thankfully, most of the time, Big Brother Ben is available to interpret for us.

For example, a few weeks ago Sam beckons to me from the bedroom he shares with Ben.  He is gesturing, very animated and excited.

"What is it, Sam?"  I ask.  "What have you got?"

Gesturing wildly to about two feet of space between his bottom bunk bed and the ladder to the top bunk, he garbles:

"EYE WUN PURRRR-RAIL!!!"

He is excited, his chocolate-brown eyes are dancing.  

I have NO idea what he's talking about.  

So I look at where he's gesturing, trying to make sense of the sounds and situation - any clues at all.

Nothing.  Is he trying out some French?  I tried to think of what word in French "purr-ail" sounded like.  

Of course this isn't it at all.

So I fake comprehension: "That's great, Sam!"

He looks at me directly and almost accusingly.  He knows when I'm faking it.

"EYE WUN PURRRR-RAIL!!!!"


I'm lost.  And I feel terrible that I can't understand this adorable, garbling little boy.

From the living room down the hall, Ben calls out: "You found your PURPLE WHALE, Sam?!"

Overjoyed, Sam nods vigorously and calls out clearly: "YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!" and then he pulls out a plush purple whale from under some blankets on the floor.

Oh.  Silly me.

Another phrase we had trouble deciphering:

"[unintelligible] MA WAH KEE KEE COW GO??"

Poor Sam kept repeating this, quite concerned about wherever this "COW" had gone.  But, the boys had no toy cows of any kind whatsoever.  We thought maybe he'd taken an interest in Hawaiian cows?  (Is there such a thing?)

Finally, Ben pipes up:  "I don't know where your Lightning McQueen car is, Sam!"

If it weren't for Ben acting as interpreter, we'd be lost.

But sometimes, he doesn't know.  Sam will say something - pacifier in mouth.

"Sam, take out your paci; we don't know what you're saying."

(Removes paci.  Repeats phrase.)

No clue what he's saying.  So I turn to Ben.  "Do you know what Sam is saying?"

Ben turns to Sam: "What are you saying, Sam?"

Sam obligingly repeats.

Ben shakes his head.  "I don't know what he's saying, Mom!"

Poor Sam.  He sighs, puts his paci back in his mouth, and walks off, as if to say, "You guys are hopeless."

Yes...yes, we are, Sam.
  


2 comments:

Joysze said...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! My cousin has a 2 1/2 year old and I feel the same way when he talks to me.

Joysze said...

Hi Kim!! It's me again!! :D

Thanks for your comment. I couldn't reply to you directly as you don't have an email attached to your blogger account. :(

I think it'd be a great idea to sell the kit on ebay. You can then turn around to buy new stash. HAHAHAHAH!!!!