I haven't done a "Ben-ism" post in a while. He is four-and-three-quarters years old (but who is keeping track?) and he is full of knowledge, observations and mostly...questions.
"Mom, I have something to tell you, Mom. I need to tell you something." (this with a grave look on his face, dark brown eyes staring right into mine)
"What do you need to tell me, Ben?"
"I just went pee-pee, and I did wash my hands, but I didn't use soap, because there wasn't that many germs."
He is already figuring out ways to cut corners...we are working on this.
"But Mom, why can't we see the germs? And what color are the germs? Why are germs so mean?" (We have an episode of Super Why to thank for this conversation.)
---------------------------------------------------
On another day, while driving home from preschool, Ben says matter-of-fact-ly from the back seat:
"Sam is two."
"Yes Ben, Sam is two years old."
"So...when he has his birthday, then...he will be three!"
"Yes! Good job on your numbers, Ben."
"But..." (I glance into the rear view mirror and see his brow furrow in thought) "...when Sam is three...then...he will be Ben."
????
I am not sure how to respond to this. I am not sure what he is thinking.
"Ben...when Sam turns three years old, he will still be Sam. Sam will always be Sam. He will just grow!"
(Brow furrowed deeper...thinking...) "But...how can he not be Ben?"
"Well...because he is Sam. Do you want to have another Ben?"
"No." (I was relieved to hear this.)
"Do you want Sam to stay Sam?"
"Yes!" (more relief)
"Okay, then. Sam will always be Sam - he is just going to grow, and learn, and talk better!" I think part of Ben's dilemma is that he cannot imagine Sam not being baby-like.
Thankfully, Ben seems relieved. I think he kind of likes his little brother.
--------------------------------------------------
A girlfriend of mine is having a baby soon. Ben asked why her belly "is so big."
So I tell him, "Her belly is not big - she has a baby growing inside her belly, and that baby is getting big!"
"So he's stretching out his mama's belly?"
"Yes."
"Did me and Sam stretch out your belly too?"
"Yes, you did. But you couldn't help it - babies have to grow, and that is how God designed it all to happen."
"Yeah...'cause your belly is already big. Why did Sam stretch it out so much?"
Thanks a lot Ben!!! And he's already laying blame on little brother, even though Ben was the larger of the two, at a whopping nine pounds. (Sam was "'only" eight pounds.)
------------------------------------------------
I'll save the other deep thoughts for another time. I feel like I need to go re-do my ab workout today.
1 comment:
hehehehehe...LOVE these! You are going to cherish looking back at these in years to come. Way to blog it! :)
Post a Comment