Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

We grow...down?

I keep a small notebook in my purse...it is full of random notes to myself, old shopping lists, to-do lists...you name it. But I also keep it handy because whenever Ben says something funny, or whenever we have a conversation that I simply don't want to forget -- that is where I write it down. That is how I'm able to write about "Ben-isms", or "Deep Thoughts from Ben."

I was cleaning out my notebook the other night and I found this conversation jotted down from June 29th of this year.  I had forgotten all about it and I'm so glad I wrote it down! 

So, nearly three months ago, my Ben and I had this little talk at bed-time as I was getting ready to read a bed-time story to him:

Ben: "I'm getting tall!"
Mama: "Yes, you are, Ben!"
Ben:  "But...someday...I might be too big for my pajamas." [brow furrowed, looks worried]
Mama:  "Well, we'll get you some new pajamas that will fit you."
B:  "But...I might need to wear Mama's or Daddy's pajamas."
M: "We'd let you wear ours, Ben -- but we'll get you your own."
B:  "But..." [looking me over] "...you're getting small, so you might need to wear my pajamas!"
M:  [trying not to laugh] "Ben, when a person grows up, they stop growing, and they don't get smaller.  They just stay the same size."  [his brow furrows again as he ponders this new information]  "But Sam is growing too, and he could wear your pajamas!"
B:  "But I want to have black hair like Daddy when I grow up!  I will look just like Daddy!"
M:  "You probably will, Ben!"
B:  "Then I will tickle Sam, and give him a raspberry!" [but he said it like "raaaaspberry", giggling]

I realized at this point that Ben thought that Sam would remain the same size, not growing, and I was going to explain this to him.  Also I thought to add that when he (Ben) grows up, maybe he'd be a daddy, and have his own little boy to tickle and play with -- but Ben was suddenly distracted by something else and completely changed the subject.

Guess he wasn't too worried about growing up, after all. 

Ben actually looks almost exactly like his daddy did at his age...and like his grandpa!  He need not worry about not growing up to look like his daddy.  It's inevitable!


By the way...I sure wish that his theory of growing smaller were true, in a sense.  I could use some shrinking up myself!  I loved it that he told me that I was "getting smaller", when in reality at that point, I'd actually gained some weight.  Sweet boy.  Maybe I carried the weight well?  Hid it nicely in my fat clothes?  Apparently my own son didn't think I was growing -- he said I was "getting smaller"!!

Three-year-olds don't lie, people.  That's all I'm saying. 

No comments: